Wednesday, April 28, 2010

UN 7635, Raspberry Mtn.(A)

26 April, 2010: Another obscure peak in western Pueblo County. I started at the Red Mountain Youth Camp on the North Creek Road northwest of Beulah. My limited experience suggests that the folks who run such places are usually quite hospitable to hikers. So, since the NE corner of their parcel offered the easiest approach to UN 7635, I parked at the front gate and just walked up to the front door. However, there was no answer. In fact, the whole place seemed to be deserted. Apparently, they're only open in the summer. With no one around to disturb, I just packed up and headed off up a ridge heading northeast.
The climb is a generally obnoxious bushwhack, just like all the other peaks in this area. I skirted point 7,190 on the south side, gave up a bit of elevation after turning east, and started the final climb up the west side of the long ridge which includes 7635. I wore gaiters to protect myself from the vegetation, but snow was virtually gone.
Two hours later, I reached the summit. With no tracks to follow, I wandered a bit on the way down. Thus, my return path was somewhat different, and took just as long as the ascent. When I wandered back into the camp, there was still no one around. A good half-day climb which got me to 7 our of 9 in Pueblo County.
28 April, 2010: I'm easily accepting longer drive distances these days. So, instead of just taking the dogs (Cimarron, Buddy, and Molly) up a "backyard" peak, I headed up to Divide, and a mile or so up the road to the Mennonite Camp (the road to the Crags campground TH for Pikes).
From a hairpin turn on the road, an old road, which has been blocked off to vehicular traffic, switchbacks up the east side of a ridge to reach the crest. From there, the trail follows the ridges, first north, then east, and then north again to Raspberry Mtn.
There was almost continuous snow most of the way, but I did all right without gaiters. Most of the snow was only an inch or two deep. Even better, a recent snowshoe track had compacted the snow well enough that I only rarely punched through much. My shoes and feet were soaked by the end, but with temperatures well into the 50s (even at 10,000 ft.), it was no problem.
We made the summit in an hour and twenty-one minutes. Fifty feet or so of bouldering is required to reach the top, which is the hardest part of the whole climb. Even with lingering snow, it was no problem. We made it down in just over an hour. RT: 4.86miles. Vert.: 1,270 ft.
The high country will be snow-free soon!
A few photos are at:

Long life and many peaks!


Post a Comment

<< Home